Powered by Blogger.

Search

Tagged under:

A 'once in a lifetime' boss



Today I put a a semi-colon (or probably a full stop) to this beautiful chapter of my life called Essel Mining. Its been a monumental journey, a peek into the exciting world of excavators and dumpers, explosives and haul roads. It has been an equally insightful encounter with a sublime level of corporate politics, where I know I at least score 5/10. (my Haryanvi tone snatches me the other 5 points) From being a back-office financial analyst in my erstwhile role, I could grow into someone who even had a voice before CEOs and CFOs of the world. Quite a transformation !!

If I could point out one individual who has made all of this possible, I had been Sanjay Bhaiya. Officially Mr Sanjay Baid is my boss but I have never ever managed to draft a mail starting with 'Dear Sir'. It always been a  'Hello' or simply nothing. I have consciously refrained from using the word boss because he is so unlike one.

Normally, bosses are tyrannical. They derive a sadistic pleasure from making the lives of their subordinates miserable. Sanjay Bhaiya, on the contrary, facilitates such a wonderful experience in office that my haemoglobin must have gone up by 200 basis points.

Normally, bosses are selfish to the core. They believe in getting work done from subordinates and then snatching away all the credit. They out of their sheer insecurity, do not share knowledge with their subordinates. Sanjay Bhaiya , on the contrary, tells that the world that it has been a team effort (even if he has completely managed the project himself) and ensures that his subordinates get a 360 degree view of events. Ask the wierdest of questions to this 'encyclopaedia on mining'  (trust me he actually is' and he will answer that patiently. If he starts narrating the phenomenal work he has done in the past, you will feel mesmerised and start wondering how much one could do with his sheer dedication.

Normally, bosses tend to pass the buck to their juniors for all the mistakes. Sanjay Bhaiya , takes it completely to himself. And then you feel so secure. You experiment with ideas and then working becomes such fun. When other tend to criticize you and your boss defends you, the feel is magical

Normally you tend to hide all your new ventures from your boss because they would ant to 'nip it in the bid' . I distinctly remember not having allowed my erstwhile boss to even have an inkling that I was taking the GMAT (though I had prepared right under his nose for 3 months and then taken a 15 day 'sick leave' before the exam). And here was I discussing every aspect of my application with him. Rightly from scrutinizing the initial application to mentoring me for the interview to helping me 'take the bloody shot' post the admission offer , he has stood by me like a rock. And I have never dared to lie even once for a leave.

They say you must endeavor to command respect and not demand it. He is a living testimony to this fact. My mom and dad are his fans, in spite of not having met him even once. This is because in the last 33 months, there has not been a single day when I have come home unhappy. "tum unke jaisa kyun nahi ban sakta' is what they keep nudging me.

I want him to be an entrepreneur, the 'bidi' king of India. He is too good for 'just a job' and I am sure , one day, he will turn one.

Now as I step into the hallowed portals of IIM-A, I know he has some sky high expectations from me. He probably wants me to conquer the world or least live upto my full potential for sure. I am not sure whether I can do full justice to the faith reposed. But I will surely try my best

They say people join companies and leave bosses. And here am I shivering with the thought of how I will face the world without my boss. Quite an ironical situation.

1 comments: